Saturday, August 19, 2006

"Bonjour" from The South of France

July 25th, 2006

Sunday will mark my one-week anniversary in the South of France. Not a day goes by that I do not think of all of my friends and family back in the States and miss you all dearly. 

Life in the French countryside continues to amaze me. I drove today for the first time in ten days. It was quite interesting. The French have a reputation for being risky drivers, but the roads are akin to a well-choreographed waltz. The steep twist and turns on every road ruined my hopes of a refreshing country drive. I was besieged by frequent heart palpitations and near misses. I finally made it home in one piece, but just barely. It seems I still need to get my LA tango in sync with their French waltz. (CAUTION: Foreign automobile passengers should be sure to employ an eye mask when riding in a vehicle in any part of France.) 

The following day I decided that using my legs might be the best way to enjoy my adventure at this stage. So, I went for my first walk in the French countryside. I explored the trail behind the villa, following the beautiful melody of a guitar and mandolin playing deep in the woods. I timidly drew closer to a charmingly aged villa where two old men sat in a beautiful, flower-filled garden playing to chickens enjoying an evening meal at their feet. The purple and red sunset behind them illuminated their wrinkled, but happy faces. Suddenly a light rain began, refreshing the warm summer ground. The rain woke me out of the trance that the music had put on me. I sprang to life and took cover under an ancient oak tree. I realized that if I stayed any longer I would risk walking back to the villa in the dark. I arrived back home just in time to see darkness cover the hillside like a blanket. 

The next day I ventured to Cannes with the family, thankful I did not have to drive the way there. It was like a dream. The city and seascape are beautiful, more breath taking than the photos or films. I could almost see Cary Grant and Grace Kelly lounging on the floating platform with the other swimmers, as in “To Catch a Thief”. 

The language seems to be my biggest challenge living in paradise. It is quite a challenge thriving in a country where one can’t be understood and not be understood in turn. Thankfully, French class begins on Tuesday. The youngest in my care continues to complain to her Maman that she can’t do what I ask because she doesn't know what I am saying. The best way to learn a language is, under threat of being ignored. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home