Saturday, August 19, 2006

Daytrip to Italia

July 30, 2006

Yesterday, Sunday, was my weekly day off. I have been feeling more confidence as a driver, so the family gave me full use of one of the cars, a convertible. So, what does one do when Italia is only an hour's drive away??? Take a day trip of course!

Ah, how can I express the beauty of the drive? With a handsome Frenchman as my guide and the local French band blaring their audes of love, I cruised down the Cote d’Azur at 100km/hr with the top down, heading towards a wonderful adventure.


It wasn't until noon that we hit THE spectacular sight of Nice's plage (beach), I have NEVER seen a bluer or more beautiful ocean. Nice tops Cannes in a second! The winding road hugs the French Rivera all the way to Italia. Monaco was the first stop. The Palais de Monaco is breathtaking.

     It is built on the remnants of a medieval castle that once stood hundreds of years ago. There is a jardin (garden) with beautiful ponds and flowers so abundant that the air about the palace is thick with perfume. Just as mass was in session, I popped my head into the cathedral where Princess Grace was married. Just beyond the chapel, there is a spectacular view that overlooks the coastline where one can see all the way to Italy. The marina below show the only signs of life, aside from us tourists, the wait staff on board the sleek yachts docked in Monaco’s marina busily clearing up lunch the remnants of their employers’ lunch. It seemed all of Monaco was enjoying their daily siesta.


After a leisurely stroll through the deserted town we were off once again. Next stop Bordighera, Italia. Weeks after the World Cup the festivities were still in full swing. There were hundreds of beautiful Italians running down the beach waving their patriotic flags, some even bathed in the nude! A huge crowd of partiers stopped traffic at one point to play in the ancient fountains along the route through the city.

Traffic being backed up we decided to take a dip in the Italian Rivera's crystal blue ocean. I found myself a charming bluff to dip my toes in the water and contemplate the beauty of the sea. It was a scene of movie or travel specials. The coast wound around for miles, speckled with naked bodies as far as the eye could see. The only structures visible were gleaming white villas gently nestled into the jagged cliffs. The view was so clear, one could see clear past San Remo, the final stop.


I had heard about the quaint and charming Italian boarder town of San Remo from Film Noir filmsettings and travel references, but being there live was an enriching experience. We found ourselves trolling along the charming cobblestone streets as a symphony of mouth-watering aromas aroused the appetite. As I stopped for my first REAL European meal I contemplated my dilemma. My strict vegetarian diet prevented me from really enjoying the potency of French cheese or the richness of French sauces or deserts. After a few weeks in France, my diet was confined to nothing more than a raw food diet of fresh salads and freshly baked bread, so you can imagine my hunger. Tucking in, as my fellow British travelers say, to authentic spaghetti with clams and a glass of local Chianti was a meal to remember. I have refrained saying too much about my French companion until now because dinner was the first time we could actually make conversation. It is amazing how much one can communicate by employing a translation dictionary, body language and universal hand gestures. I enjoyed so much of the Italian wine and the sangria that only a strong Espresso and a brisk walk along the Italian coast could cure my haze and prepare me for the return drive back to France.

After a nice stroll, we found our way back to the car through the old city square. The blood was pumping in my ears as we drove with the top down at 130km/hr. This was the perfect ending to such a long and exciting day. With a full moon to light the highway, I felt myself feel more at ease behind the wheel along the long winding road back to France. Midnight greeted us as we pulled into the villa's main gate, thus ending one of the most beautiful and exciting days of my life. It isn’t every day that a California girl like me can enjoy two European countries in one day. The Mediterranean Rivera is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I wish all of you could see how beautiful the view from the villa is; I still can’t believe how with such a humble beginning ended up in such lush surroundings. I often ask myself, "What has this French Adventure taught me so far?" My heart responds, "Take as many calculated risks in life as possible, work hard and above all remain true to one’s heart and your path will always converge on the desires of your heart."

Living here is wonderful, but it is also the most challenging experience of my life. I just want to thank you all my friends and family back home. I would not be sitting in such blessing if it were not for every single person reading this. I hope that these experiences are not conveyed in a boastful tone, but in awe ad gratitude with all I have been blessed with. I have come to realize that these blessings did not begin 10 days ago, but weeks, years, and in some cases decades ago. These blessings began with sharing a special moment with every one of you.  It is my hope that you are encouraged through the conveyance of the blessings I now enjoy.

Love from France,
Monique



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home