Wednesday, September 06, 2006

On the Road Again?

6 September 2006


I have been struck dumb. About three hours ago Monsieur put an end to my growing suspicion that all was not well in his marriage. Boisterous discussions being held in the room below mine have prevented me from enjoying undisturbed sleep the last few weeks. So it comes as no surprise that my employers are divorcing, but their needs  have changed, meaning I have four weeks to secure other employment. From day one, I have been subject to a series of lectures and harsh rebukes for tasks as simple as loading the dishwasher or setting the dinner table. All along I could see the strain in Monsieur’s eyes and the unhappiness in Madame’s. In all my time here I have spent more time with Monsieur and the children than I have with the family as a whole. I've had a lot of fun, as there has been lots of boating, fishing, tennis and board games. I've been enjoyed such peace in Nature, however, life inside the villa is far from it. I have thus far omitted this unfortunate fact from my writing out of a desire to be a discrete employee, however, decisions have been made that now directly affect my future. Monsieur and Madame decided to end their marriage after an unfortunate incident last week. It was the night I cracked my skull on my living room floor. The story begins like this…

This particular day I had charge of my employer’s eight and four-year-old girls for two days while my bosses devoted their attentions to opening the restaurant. On Wednesday I took them to a small amusement park and petting zoo in a neighboring town. I thought the fun outing would win some quality time with the children, but it did not go as I hoped. Instead of it being a bonding experience, the girls ignored me and made faces at me the entire day. I sympathized with them and remained calm while their rudeness glared in my face. I reminded myself that this was the first time that they spent an entire day with a stranger, but at 8pm, I was ready from some time alone. After putting the children to bed, I retired to my room with a lovely glass of red wine. My employers were working late at the family restaurant so I absorbed myself in the fantasy of a French novel. I was getting sleepy after the long day and it was beginning to be difficult to keep my eyes open. The grandfather clock struck ten, then eleven; finally at midnight, so I decided to turn in. I concluded that my employers went to bed after their children did, so could I. At half pass twelve I was jolted out of bed by the sound of the Madame screaming and the girls crying. My first thought was that harm had come to them. I jumped from my bed, ran through my suite and down a flight of stairs. Madame was in the hall screaming. As I approached her she began yelling in French that upon their arrival they found in the girls in the kitchen crying. My first thought was, “I can never please them!” 

In that moment I saw black as the blood drained from my head, ten seconds later I was unconsciousness. The only thing I remember is hearing a loud crack when my skull met the marble floor. Next thing I know, Monsieur, for the second time I’ve known him, is carrying me back to my room. My head pounds violently as Madame resumes chastising me. But I can’t for the life of me I can't remember what she said. Monsieur rushes her out of the room so I can rest. Once the door closes I crawl to the bathroom in a desperate search for painkillers. As I drift back to sleep a disturbing thought comes over me. What if I have a concussion? I began wishing that the whack on my head had put me into a comma because facing Madame the morning was going to be much more painful. In the end I count myself lucky that Monsieur saw the truth. It was not my fault that the girls got out of bed. When we discussed what would be required of me, Monsieur clearly stated that I was, “Not supposed to be on duty until midnight.” Little did I know that my sleepiness was what pushed them to end their marriage. Monsieur closed our chat by saying, “it’s good that you were here because it showed me that her unhappiness was not my fault. Even she realizes that you are brilliant and that the problem lies within her.” My heart goes out to the entire family at such a difficult time. Madame is actually a nice person, just unhappy. 

So there you have it. I’ve been quietly living a dysfunctional situation. As for where this leaves me. I am far from being ready to return to the States! So as I devise a plan, I am resolved against being employed by another family. The next adventure lies ahead! Wish me luck and cross your fingers for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home